A Beginners Guide to Know IMAP Migration in Office 365
Various business professionals are opting for different IMAP-compatible email accounts and want the IMAP migration in Office 365. Office 365 is an email service that is secure, proficient, and solid. In this corporate world, Microsoft 365 is the best for business growth as it has several in-built features and applications. These days, switching to Office 365 has become necessary for organizations, not only for better productivity and functions but also to enhance security.
Here, we will provide various solutions to import IMAP to Office 365. In addition, we will discuss an efficient solution, the Sysinfo IMAP Backup Tool. But before moving towards the procedure, you should know the points to remember before the transferring process.
Things to Consider Before the IMAP Migration in Office 365
It will become easy to know all the necessary things before the solutions to migrate IMAP email to Office 365.
- First, it requires creating a user in Office 365. After that, you can only migrate IMAP mailbox emails.
- If you want to use the same email domain of IMAP in Microsoft 365, add that email account in O365. It will help you to perform steps comfortably.
- You can only migrate items from your inbox or other mail folders to Office 365.
- Users can upload their heavy files up to 35 MB.
- Make sure that this type of migration does not allow you to migrate contacts, calendar items, or tasks.
- Users can transfer only 500,00 items from the mailbox to desired email service.
- You must take a backup of your mailbox items before the procedure to migrate email from IMAP to Office 365. It will prevent you from data loss.
- Create an inventory list to migrate IMAP mailbox to Office 365 further. The list is as follows:
- Email addresses, User accounts, and sign-in credentials.
- MX records, DNS configurations, firewall settings, and Network settings.
- Ensure to have the latest version of Outlook.
- You should have the licensing plans on your latest source server.
- You must have sufficient network capacity and bandwidth to transfer.
We have given you crucial points to remember before accomplishing the IMAP Migration in Office 365. You can note it down. Now, we will discuss the impact of the conversion process on users.
What is the Impact of The Migration Process on Users?
To import emails, you must have access to the user mailbox items in your current source email system. If you have all the user’s credentials, easily access their mailbox items. There will be no effect on users until you close your source email system.
If in case, you do not have any password or credentials, you can not access the user’s mailbox items. You have to create a new password after resetting the old password. If you do not know the newly created password, you can’t get your old mailbox items during the email migration.
Best Methods For IMAP Migration in Office 365 or Microsoft 365
There are three methods to backup IMAP emails into Office 365 effortlessly. All approaches are easy & simple and provide results with 100% accuracy.
- IMAP Migration to Office 365 Account using Office 365 Admin Center
- Steps for Transferring IMAP to Office 365
- IMAP to Office 365 Migration Tool Free
Method 1: IMAP Migration in Office 365 Via Admin Center
In this part, we discussed the simple steps to execute IMAP migration to Office 365 using the admin center:
- Open Office 365.com and Sign In with Admin credentials.
- Go to the navigation section and opt with the Data Migration option.
- After clicking on the Data Migration, you will find the Select your Data service page appears on the screen. If your email provider is present here, then select it.
- After selecting the email provider, you will be redirected to choose the user’s page.
- Opt with the users that you need to migrate and enter the email Id and password.
- After entering the complete required details, click on the Start Migration button.
- Finally, the migration will start, and you will find any of these statuses after completion: Starting | Queued | Syncing | Synced. While Synced is visible on your screen, click on the Stop Migration button to complete the process.
- Once the process gets completed successfully, click on the Close Connection option.
Method 2: Steps for Transferring IMAP to Office 365
There are easy-six steps to migrate IMAP emails into Office 365 accounts. But, it is necessary to perform all the steps perfectly. Otherwise, there is a chance of data loss. To-do-so, complete the mentioned steps:
Step 1: Recognize and Check the Full Name of Your Current Email Server
Office 365 needs the same source email server name for the migration, thus you will have to verify the full name of your IMAP email server.
- Go to the mailbox with Outlook.com.
- Opt with the Setting option from the toolbar, and enter POP on the search box.
- In another wizard, select POP and IMAP.
- Here, you will find the listed IMAP server name.
Step 2: Create a List of Mailboxes For Migration
Before starting the migration of mailboxes in Office 365, you will have to access IMAP user mailboxes to verify. In order to verify, you will have to create a list of mailboxes. Moreover, if you do not know the password of the selected mailbox, you have to reset them and create a new one.
Step 3: Connect Office 365 Email System
Office 365 uses a migration endpoint to connect with the source email system. Follow the steps mentioned to create the migration endpoint:
- Move to the Exchange Admin Center and click Recipients.
- Here, select Migration> More and click on the Migration endpoints.
- Click on the + icon to create a new migration endpoint.
- After that, the select migration endpoint page appears on the screen, click IMAP, and proceed further.
- Type the mentioned details at the IMAP migration page:
- IMAP Server name
- Leave the rest information and click the Next button.
- Now, the migration services will test the connection of the email server and if it is in working condition, then type the general information on the page.
- On another wizard, enter the migration endpoint name. Not enter other details on the remaining boxes and click on the New button to create a new migration endpoint.
- Finally, the new migration endpoint will be created.
Step 4: Perform Migration In Batch and Migrating Multiple Mailboxes
You will have to create the migration batch for performing the Office 365 mailboxes migration in bulk. It is the process where the previously migrated emails will also remain. Implement the steps below to create migration in batch:
- First of all, go to the Exchange Admin Center and opt with Recipients. Click on the Migration option.
- Now, click on the New + and go through with the Migrate to Exchange Online.
- Choose IMAP migration and click on the Next button.
- Selected User Page will appear on the screen. Click on Browse to select the migration files that you can create earlier.
- Office 365 will perform a quick check on the file whether it is accurate or not.
- If the file is verified by Office 365, the number of users listed in the file data will appear and shows the number of mailboxes to migrate.
- After completion of validation, click Next.
- Here, you will find the IMAP configuration pager on the screen. Click Next to proceed further.
- Opt with the Migration Endpoint you create while performing step 3.
- Move to the Move Migration page, enter the name of the migration and click on the Next button. Further, you can also exclude the folder from the migration process by entering their name or tapping on the + icon to go further. After performing the complete selection, click on the Next button.
- The migration batch will appear on the screen, implement the mentioned actions:
- Click on the Browse button to send a copy of the migration report to other users. Here, you can access the migration report also from the inbuilt properties of the migration batch.
- Choose Automatically to start the batch. Migration of emails will start when you click on the Save button. Change the status of the migration once the creation process gets completed.
- You can check the status of the task in the Exchange Admin Center as well.
Step 5: Route Your Email to Office 365
These days every email system uses a DNS record (called MX Record) to verify or check the delivery address of emails. While one can perform the email migration process, the DNS record has been left toward the source email system. Furthermore, after the successful conversion into Office 365, you will have to point out the MX record at Office 365.
It will ensure that the email will be delivered into Office 365 mailboxes. Mainly, Office 365 takes 72 hours to recognize the changes in the MX record. After completion of the process, stop the email sync.
Step 6: Procedure to Discontinue the Email Synchronization
After performing the changes in the MX records, you will have to verify that all your emails are being routed with Office 365 or not. Only that, you will delete the migration batch. Due to this, the synchronization between the source email system and office 365 will discontinue. Before performing that, you will have to check few things relatable:
- Your users opt with Office 365 for email. After stopping in the migration batch, you will have to make sure the emails sent to your Office 365 aren’t copied.
- After the deletion of the email migration in bach, let it run for at least 72 hours. It is enough time for the synchronization of source email and Office 365 mailbox data.
Steps to Delete a Migration Batch
- Go to the Exchange Admin Center and go through with Recipients and click on Migration.
- On the opening dashboard of migration, click on the Delete for the selective batch.
- Here, you can also confirm the deletion of the batch migration by visiting the Recipients section of the Exchange Admin Center.
Method 3: IMAP Migration In Office 365 Using Free Software
After seeing the above methods, do you think it will be an easy procedure for you to migrate IMAP emails into Office 365 manually? Surely not. Opt with the SysInfo IMAP Migration Tool and perform IMAP migration in Office 365 accounts hassle-free with ease. The software allows users to migrate IMAP mailbox data into Office 365 in batch.
With the help of the software, users can also import IMAP email into other email clients like Gmail, Thunderbird, AOL, Hotmail, Live Exchange Outlook PST, etc.
Many users or organizations want to perform IMAP migration in Office 365 to enhance productivity and security. In these conditions, selecting the perfect and simple way to migrate IMAP mailbox data is a necessity. That is why we have mentioned manual and professional methods to perform the IMAP migration.