The Outlook Data File Has Reached the Maximum Size Fix Issue
These days all users are aware of the fact that MS Outlook is one of the top-rated and reliable email clients and is used by millions of users worldwide. It is personal storage information that lets you focus on the messages that matter most. But suddenly, if the error message The Outlook data file has reached the maximum size appears on your screen, and you are looking for an appropriate solution to troubleshoot this. Then stay connected with this blog. Here, you will find the working procedure of different techniques to fix the issue successfully.
As we know, Outlook uses PST files to store their mailbox data, and these data include emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, journals, etc. In addition, Outlook consists of a specific size limit for the different Outlook data files(PST).
- For Outlook 97 to 2002:– A maximum size limit is 2 GB.
- Outlook 2003 to 2007:- A maximum size limit is 20 GB.
- For Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019:- A maximum size limit is 50 GB.
When you face this issue, you will find a pop-up tab on your screen below mentioned: Outlook displaying, your mailbox has reached its maximum size limit at which you cannot send or receive any more content.
How to Fix Outlook Data File Has Reached the Maximum Size Error?
This part defines the complete and simple procedure to troubleshoot Outlook data files that have reached the maximum size issue. While Outlook data files reach their maximum size, a notification is displayed on your screen. Well, Don’t Worry. You can increase the size of the PST file manually by registry entities. Thus, to-do-so, implement the steps mentioned:
- Click on the Start button and search Run to open it. (You can also open it by clicking on the Windows+ R)
- Enter Regedit in the open tab and click on the Ok button.
- Here, expand the My Computer option and opt with HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
- Then go through with Software and select the Policies option.
- Opt with Microsoft, and then Office to proceed further.
- Now select:
11.0 for Microsoft Outlook 2013
12.0 for Microsoft Outlook 2007
13.0 for Microsoft Outlook 2010
14.0 for Microsoft Outlook 2013
15.0 for Microsoft Outlook 2016
- Move to Outlook and click on the PST file.
- Select MaxLargeFileSize by right-clicking on it.
- After that, click on the Modify button to type the values in the Value Data Box.
- Click on the Ok button.
Note:- It is one of the easy and appropriate techniques to fix The Outlook data file that has reached the maximum size.
Method 1: Archive PST Data to Overcome the Issue of an Oversized File
You can archive your Old data of Outlook to keep data safe and to make more storage space. So to avoid them from filling up and reaching their maximum size limit. To save the Old times, you can keep them into a specific Outlook data file(.pst).
Note:- The Archive & AutoArchive features might not be available in your Outlook if your profile connects to an Exchange Server.
Step-By-Step Guide to Archive Data in Outlook 2019/2016/2013
- Open Outlook and sign in with the required credentials.
- Click on the File tab and opt with the Info section.
Outlook 2013: Tap on the Cleanup Tools section and select Archive.
Outlook 2016: Opt with File >> Info >>Tools >> and select the Clean up old items option.
- Here, select the Archive this folder option.
- After that, under Archive items older than, choose a date.
- Click on the Browse button to select the folders that you need to archive.
- You can also check the Include items with the “Do not AutoArchive” checked option.
- Now, click on the Ok button to complete the steps.
Step-By-Step Guide to Archive Data in Outlook 2010
- Launch the Outlook application on your PC.
- Click on the File menu and opt with cleanup Tools >> Archive.
- Select the option saying Archive this folder and all subfolders, and then pick the folder you want to archive.
- After that, move to the Archive items older than a section and assign a date range.
- Select the Browse button and locate the saving location for the archived file.
- Mark the option: Include items with “Do not AutoArchive” checked and click on the Ok Button.
Method 2: Make the Oversized PST Compact
This method works only on the above version of Outlook 2013. By opting with the Compact Now feature, you will get an advanced option to reclaim all the white and blank space hold by the deleted items. With the help of this option, one can directly or indirectly compress the compressed oversized PST file. Here, you can manually compact the PST file by implementing these steps:
- Open Outlook and go to the File menu.
- Opt with the Account Settings >> Account Settings from the drop-down.
- Select the Data Files tab and tap on the .pst file that you want to compact.
- After that, click on the Settings option.
- Click on the Compact Now button, and then press OK.
Method 3: Troubleshoot this issue of Oversized PST files Via Import/Export
Below mentioned are the steps to perform the splitting of the PST files using the Import/Export process:
- Open MS Outlook and click on the File.
- Select Account Settings >> Account Settings.
- Tap on the Data Files and select the Add option.
- Type the name of the PST file. Enter the Outlook data file as .pst, and click Ok to create a new one.
- Now, the new PST file will be visible under Data Files.
- After that, click on the File >> Open & Export >> Import/Export.
- Choose Export a file in Import and Export Wizard and hit the Next button.
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst) and click the Next button.
- Pick the required folder to export and mark the option Include subfolders. Click Next.
- At last, click on the Browse button to select a saving location for a newly exported file. Moreover, you can also opt for advanced features, click Finish.
After performing the above manual solution to fix the Outlook data file has reached the maximum size fix, you will be able to resolve the issues successfully. However, these methods contain some limitations too.
- Methods are time-consuming and come with a chance of data loss.
- Users need technical expertise to perform the manual process completely.
- You are not able to use this step for large PST files.
Alternate Solution To Fix The Outlook Data File Has Reached the Maximum Size
To overcome this issue, you will have to reduce the size of the Outlook data file(PST) and for this, you can opt with PST Splitter Software. It is a safe and risk-free utility that allows its users to split oversized PST files into multiple small PST files without any data loss. The software has an easy-to-use interface and is compatible with all Windows OS versions like 10, 8.1, 8, 7, etc.
This blog teaches you different manual approaches to fix the Outlook data file that has reached the maximum size issue. Additionally, we also discuss some aspects where the manual solution is not appropriate. Therefore, we recommend using the Expert solution and splitting your oversized PST files into several small PST.